Tuesday, May 24, 2005

M32 log
Today was the official start date for the M32 album. Just me and a bunch of guitars in a rehearsal studio in the music building on 30th street in Manhattan. It felt good to get down to work again on a new project but this was difficult. The idea is a seemingly simple one: create an album that is made up of just guitar feedback. Two to four guitars in a room at once feeding back. and somehow make it musical, make it sound and feel good. Spent about four hours today. my head is killing me. discoveries: today I had two guitars feeding back the whole time. tomorrow I will try three or four. I need tube amps. Need effects processors. Need more reverb. Feedback is hard to manipulate. Playing just feedback is very difficult without feeling compelled to hit notes or make music of some kind which is exactly what I am trying not to do. I kept feeling a longing to play music on the guitar rather than just make noise or feedback. Also, I missed having drums. I missed having a beat going.... am I going at this wrong? should I add beats? My head is killing me. more left side. Ears are ringing. Have to wear ear plugs the whole time. but they muffle so much of the sound that you lose the vibe of it and yes that sucks. but still, unfortunately it’s a necessity. Man I'm feeling slightly fucked from this. thought it would be a touch easier. But it will actually be quite the challenge.

Hey I got the hiccups yesterday and I tried that technique with the fingers and again it worked within a second. You hold your forefingers as close as you can pointing to each other without actually touching and that's it. it is instant. Don't know why this works. I would never do this if I didn't have the hiccups. Would probably catapult me into another universe or through some black-hole or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.