Monday, February 24, 2003


Watched the readings from the slave narratives last night on HBO. Obviously a very moving experience for anyone. But when I watch these dramatizations of tragic historical events, I do not spend much time reflecting on the event itself, like when I was a kid I would just sit in sadness and sympathy for the victims, whether it was the Africans or the native peoples of the Americas or the Jews of Europe or just poor people here in the America; what it really does to me now is make me sit and think about any instances in our present time where we are still experiencing similar situations of blatant human rights violations. Where one group of us may be mistreating or disrespecting or using another weaker group for their own gain. Where in the world are the injustices that we can right in this very instant as a people? And why aren't we righting these wrongs right now? Are we waiting for the made for TV docudrama? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.