Thursday, May 15, 2003


Cannot stop watching The Last Waltz. I'm becoming obsessed with this band called The Band. 
Bas thinks I've lost my mind. This is pretty far from rock. “You're going redneck man. Don't let it happen to you.” And then this cat Dr. John. You know, you can understand this obsession we have with musicians making their music. Its like this deep expression of our souls and when you see someone getting really into it and doing a good job at it, its like they are expressing that for you. You can get off on music through them. and its more than just you know good music, cause a lot of times it doesn’t even have to be technically “good music.” No. its something else. Its something that you feel. The music can be absolutely perfect but that doesn’t matter as much as feeling that something special. When these guys are singing some of their songs that's what happens to me. And I guess I just never thought about it before, you know, that dynamic that creates us really getting into music like that. When brother Beav gives me advice about my music I always listen because I know he gets off on music like a musician does, even though he is not a musician himself. He can tell whether something is real or not. What the underlying intention is. So when he tells me oh that is so cheesy, I listen to him. You know, even though I end up doing my own thing anyway, but I still like to hear his comments. I remember this one time in college and my roommate at the time the white bear who was a few years older than me took me to this concert, I'll never forget it, lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin, and he was so into it. it was this soft kind of television jazz. I think that's a good way to describe it, although I'm sure jazz aficionados will off with my head upon discovering my total ignorance, but that's what it sounded like to me, you know, these guys write a lot of soundtracks for TV shows and movies. And I just couldn’t feel it at all. it just sounded like generic TV music to me. and my friends are like, “man aren't they good? you being a musician probably really appreciate these guys huh?!” and I was like, “uh, yea sure.” And I just had no clue how to relate to it. I just didn't feel it in my gut. I could hear that they were technically very talented musicians but that just never mattered to me. being good at music making, or being a good musician never mattered to me. I was always into the vibe or the art of it, I don't care if its through music or painting or making movies, or performance art. I'm not a technocrat. I could care less if myself or anyone else is great or even good at their art. I just like to feel it inside. I got a lot of friends right now who like to talk shit about the Strokes, saying that they aren't cool, that they are “wanna be Indie.” To me that's the same type of thinking that fucks all music up. when someone goes to their head like that rather than just feeling the music. I don't care if those guys were prep school kids living on their parents money and a total put together group. Who cares? That album fucking rocks and those songs are good. and you can tell that Julian writes from his heart. So what else matters?   
THE STROKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.