Thursday, October 09, 2003


I just read the article in rolling stone about how the RIAA sued 261 people for downloading music for free from the Internet. One of those people was the piano man’s sisters best friend right here in South Florida. She will have to pay thousands to settle. Me and the guys talking about it after practice. And you just can’t find anything positive to say about it. as an artist you want to be cool to people you know. you don't want to be known as a dick or anything. But stealing is stealing. One of the girls Brianna something told the New York post, “my stomach is turning.” And yes it sucks. She got caught, and no she wasn't the only one doing it. Hell, everyone I know is doing it. And poor musicians, shit, rich musicians are the worst. We all do it. right now I'm sharing over three hundred songs I have downloaded. Most of them, prob about 90% are from cds I already own but I am just to lazy to try to go find them in my CD collection. So that's my bad. and yes there should certainly be some sort of system worked out where by if you already own the song you can download it, but no you shouldn’t be allowed to share it with others to get for free. No fucking way. not till the rest of the civilized world starts letting us use their goods and services for free. so anyday I could get slapped with a law suit myself. And I'm one of those artists myself. And man I would gladly pay them whatever they ask, cause man I'm not going to deny or try to talk myself out of the fact that I am knowingly stealing what I haven't paid for. You know, if you get caught, you get caught. So to Brianna and the other 260 others who got sued by the biz, in all fairness lets put the cards on the table and be nice, cause it sucks that they are being used as examples. You know, but it’s gotta start somewhere. I think anyone would agree that yes its super easy to download songs. Yep. And its a lot cheaper to download one song for free instead of buying a whole album that you don't even want. Yep. And its a lot more convenient to download than having to go to a store or online to buy it. yep. And its a lot faster. Its instant pleasure baby. Yep. And those fucking record companies, they make so much money anyway. they don't need anymore of my money. Yep. And they rape the fucking artists by barely paying them anything and making them pay back all the money they give them and all that. yep. And you know what, if they had their shit together and didn't have such an old business model then maybe I wouldn’t do it. yep. And hey, no one knows if I just download a few songs here and there in my house. Its pretty private and secret and chances are I won't get caught. Yep. All those points are good and more...

But here's the deal kids. All these things may be true. But we’re still stealing. So its really a simple issue. You either steal or you don't. you're a thief or you’re not a thief. Me? I admit it. I'm stealing. If I hear a song I like and I want to go get it for free from the internet, lately I have been doing it. Especially for songs where I don't want to buy the whole album. but here's the deal. I know I'm stealing. I'm not arguing about it. I'm not trying to defend it. in fact I feel pretty fucking guilty about it, because I know I'm literally taking money out of the hands of a lot of people, mostly other artists. And that sucks. And if I get caught I'm going to admit what I did. and pay them what they ask. Cause that's the right thing to do. And yea I'm going to be really happy when the music biz catches up with its technology and makes this a lot easier and cooler for all of us. but I'm not going to use that as my excuse for why I think its alright to steal. There are always going to be people around you who try to talk you into doing bad things by justifying it in some way or another. but you don't have to be a sucker and fall for it. 
That's it for me on file sharing. Case closed. I am thoroughly bored of the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.