Friday, February 06, 2004

I Remember the Name but not the Face

On the street at a café. People come up to you all the time. Shake your hand. Lot of times I cannot remember who they are but sometimes I recognize them. “hey what's up man how are you?” you know, stuff like that.... and the whole time I am trying to place who they are or where I know them from.... sometimes its just people that know you but you don't know them. you have to get used to that. Later, slipping into the back door of my salon, checking to see if I could get a quick trim for the concert tonight. My stylist is way overbooked as always, “uuuhmmm Fishy, perhaps you can call and make an appointment sometimes....” “o.k. fine, I will next time, but today you know there's this concert tonight and..... “

I'm standing there waiting to get started and I see this guy, he looks at me and says, ‘I remember the face but not the name...’ I think to myself for a second.... wow that's brilliant. I repeated it, ‘I remember the face but not the name.’ if only I would have heard that a few hours ago. it really would have come in handy. I was walking to the elevator a few hours later. I remember the face but not the name... what a line. you could just walk up to people and say it. even in the elevator. Just turn around and announce to some beautiful girl standing next to you, ‘I remember the face but not the name.’ she probably wouldn’t know what you were trying to say of course... but it just sounds good.
                       ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Do you remember last week when I invited you to come over and I would make dinner?”
“yes that was so nice.”
“Well why did you seem to kind of blow it off? You didn't seem interested.... so I didn't ask again.”
“I wasn't trying to be rude. I hope it didn't come off that way. I'm sorry if it did. its just that I'm a freak like that. I just think maybe that's something I need to save for my wife...” she spit out her drink onto the table in front of her....
“You're married?! I thought you said you weren't married?”
“No I'm not married. Gosh, I didn't mean to make you spit your wine out like that. that's good wine. Perhaps we can lick it off the table....? No I'm just kidding. But no I'm not married....” she gives me this look.... like is he crazy? “You know I have this idea that I am trying to respect my future wife. You know, I'm sure its very silly but It just feels like the right thing to do. making love and cooking for me are two things that are reserved for my future wife. Out of respect. You know....” she starts like tearing. Right there at the table during dinner. Like she's crying or something...
“that is so beautiful....” she says.
“Yeah I guess it is. I mean, I just think that if one day I am lucky enough to meet this girl that I love enough to marry and she is cooking for me, which is such sacred thing you know, I wouldn’t want to think that I had had that a lot with other girls... you know. only Maddie and Cleo have ever cooked for me and that's a nice thing to kind of keep sacred.... Hey you don't have to cry...”
“that is just so beautiful.. did your mother cook for you all? When you were growing up?”
“Yes of course she did. and she still does when we go home for the holidays. And that's really nice. but you know, you can’t make love to your mom. I guess in some states you can, probably Arkansas and Missouri and places like that... but you know not in New York or Miami... “
“Fishy that's gross! You just ruined a perfectly beautiful moment!”
20th century music concert tonight at the new world symphony. I can never get over how good they are. Astounding. I have never been able to stay through an whole rock concert myself. I know that's insane but I just get bored too easily. I think the only one in my entire life that I ever stayed for the entire concert and by now I have seen just about everyone, was U2’s elevation tour. I had seen all their other tours as well and never stayed till the end, but there was something so magical about that one. I saw it three times actually. Just awesome. And van Halen. That was a great concert. Fucking stellar. But it’s never been that way for me with opera nor with classical music. I don't know why, but I just don't get bored during these concerts. Well I take that back. I do get bored, and often fall asleep, which is a liberty that one should always take advantage of when one can, but I don't get as bored as I do at rock concerts.

Four pieces tonight. Reich which was moderately inspiring, in an intellectual way, Bernstein which was dreadfully boring and enabled me to catch some zzzs. Maddie called during intermission. “Hey pups what are you doing. You sleeping?” “Yeah I just woke up.” “You in bed?” “No I'm at a concert.” “God you are so weird.” “Yes I probably am. But its fun being me. If it weren't I would probably stop.” “Stop what? Being you?” “Yeah.” “O.k. you freak... Hey listen I have something to ask you...” “What's up?” “Do you need money? do you need money for food? I don't mean to pry, but I know things are tough right now. Do you need some money?” “Well that's so nice of you to ask. Yes I do, but not like that. But thank you. I mean, I need a few hundred thousand dollars at this point. But no I don't need money for food. Not now. Perhaps in a few months I will I'm sure. But not now.” O.k. just making sure.” ”But hey that reminds me, do I owe you money from the last time I was in this position? From five or six years ago I mean? When I was broke. I think you sent me a bunch of money for a while there.... how much do you think I owe you? I should probably pay you back now before I don't have any more...” “God you're funny. Just shut up Fishy. And don't you dare send me any money now. Wait till you're rich again.” “God when is that going to be? I hate being poor.” “I know pups. But you'll do it again. You always do.” “Thanks Maddie. Gotta run. See ya.”

And then back to the concert. Stravinsky, the firebird suite. Well that's it isn't it? The fucking firebird suite. It doesn’t get better than that. Just unbelievable. And as if it couldn’t get better, la Valse by Ravel. Wow. Breathtaking.

Last screening: the Addams family, first one. a classic. Angelica Houston as Morticia... yyyuuummm. How could they get it so right? is there anything more delicious than she?
Current Read: Modern gentleman. Great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.