Friday, May 28, 2004

About a year and a half ago a good friend of mine who is a sculptor told me of a dream she had to create giant sculptures that depicted our dreams. Other people’s dreams. we brainstormed the idea on and off for hours. Realized that these sculptures could be placed all over the country, all over the planet really. She was very taken by the rise and shine album when it was first released, especially the song Do you know who you are and Dreams. Asked if she could use the music in her documentary films, and from there we started discussing me composing music for each sculpture, in each city around the country. Different music and sounds for each. It was a beautiful vision that we shared. Interactive sculptures.

Flash forward a year. she's doing it. the vision has turned into a reality. First installation in Asheville, NC. A community designed sculpture in the heart of the town. a mammoth work many stories high depicting the dreams and visions of the town’s people. very inspiring. She sent me a documentary on the project and I was so inspired by it. the DVD opens with the song do you know who you are and ends with the song Dreams. What an honor. Check it out. www.journeyofdreams.com. A brilliant idea. I told her, “I'm just so glad and appreciative to be a part of it in any way, because I think it is just going to be huge.” Not only will you be very fulfilled as an artist but you will be very rich from this idea.

Earlier today my car runs out of gas but the fuel gauge says I have over a quarter tank. I pull into a shell and the guy tells me that they are out of gas completely. Turns out that all the shell stations got contaminated gas and that is the symptom of it. your tank is full but the gas is no good so your car won't run. I get the feeling that someone up there is trying to tell me something. the oracle asked me, “what are you still doing in Florida? You don't belong there.” “I know. I know.” I tell her... “Doing my best. I promise. Tying up all the loose ends.” My house has sold. I have a week or two to move out. and all of this while still trying to rehearse the band for the European tour and get two singles out to radio and get the new album released before we leave. Insane. And now there is talk of a documentary about me and the guys and our music and the preparation for the tour. Even more insane. Where will we find the time?

I am packing everything I own up and putting it all into storage. Live out of a suitcase for a while. will be easier that way. Less attention to outside things. just focus on the matters at hand. music, videos, writing, touring. It is a liberating feeling.   

Last screening: Orchestral rehearsal. The last of the Fellini films for me. I've seen them all now. The only problem that I have with him is that he makes the entire country look vulgar and barbaric. Forty years of film making and one would never think that the Italians had any class at all from watching his work. All of them stuffed with this kind of ubiquitous bathroom humor that is similar to what certain Hollywood filmmakers think is funny. Because I was raised in a northern Italian family, I know from experience that a fellini film, all forty years of them, with their incessant references to farts and dicks and sex et al. are not an accurate representation of the average Italian. I don't know why I feel the need to defend the people. I'm an American now. but for some reason, I just do. Out of respect for my grandparents I guess.

Saw Troy last night. Great to see the old story come to life on the big screen with Brad and the boys. The women were very beautiful. Good film. Made me want to dig into some Greek study just to check it all out and see how much is true and how much is myth.

Current Spin: downloaded a huge file of Ours and jimmy Gnecko live shows from his recent acoustic American tour. great stuff. he is the modern day Farinelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.