Saturday, September 18, 2004

Last night a vision. no not that first. This first. More important.
 

Last night in a dream I met you again my love. There was this moment where we met and I immediately started kissing your shoulders and neck playfully. Do you remember? I wonder? I dream of you every night now. do you dream of me? how happy and natural I was kissing you, as if I had known you forever. the dreams come so often now that sometimes I forget until a few minutes into my waking hours. Where ever you are, now I know you are close. I know that you exist now. and I cannot wait to meet you.

Careless and homeless now. temporarily renting a room at some friends’ house, living out of a suitcase, just me and my laptop and my guitar. Everything else I own stored in this giant warehouse. Much fun. great feeling of liberation. I basically just spend all my time at the office now. fourteen to sixteen hours a day. go back to the little room and watch a DVD on my laptop for a few minutes and then fall asleep. Wake up and head back in to make it all happen. phone Internet phone Internet phone Internet phone Internet phone Internet.

My current host Opus is from Spain. A small village there called Huesca. lives here now part time. he works in the wine business.  everyone from the executive office / shared office space that I have met is cool, self employed entrepreneur types. Such a difference between these people and normal nine to five people. many of them, like myself, are in that office seven days a week, working till eleven o'clock at night every night, building their businesses. Each of us knows what the other does and inspires the other. Opus is building his wine business. Marc is building his graphic design business. Ted builds his law firm. I'm building our record company. Its very cool. if someone goes home early, say, at nine pm instead of eleven, we give him a hard time. ‘man, you're going home pretty early, what's up?’ its funny. Anyway, I'm staying with opus for a few weeks till I move to New York.

This morning at breakfast talking with Opus about inventions. I whip out my black book and tell him, ‘thank you, I just remembered I had this vision last night right before sleep.’ ‘oh man, do tell. What was it?’ I explain how in the future we already know that our computer monitors will be projected up into the air rather than on a screen or monitor. We agree. And also, that they will be three dimensional, holographic. Yes, agreed. But last night I had this vision that I was able to move my screen image around the room with a pen control or a remote of some kind. That it wouldn’t be obligated to be stationary. In other words, if you were in the other room and I was looking at something cool, I could just drag and drop my whole screen over to you in the other room. This three dimensional holographic image would appear in front of you just by me dragging it over to your direction. Wow. O.k. now we’re onto something. yes this will happen. i saw it last night...

Flashback: 1997, I am in the shower and I have this vision of us all being tapped into this infinite web of consciousness through our own personal servers that are somehow in every room of our house. even there in the shower. we have the possibility of seeing the content – with permissions – of everyone else's personal servers. So when we wake up and ‘plug in’ or ‘tap in’ we have the option of seeing an infinite amount of content from millions of other users all over the world while we are bathing or eating breakfast for instance... millions will have their own blogs. Their own voyeur cameras hooked up at their houses filming their every move. And we will have the ability to view all of this, focusing only on what we want to in that moment.


Flash forward: so opus and I continue to brainstorm the idea over coffee and wine and cigarettes (from Australia strangely enough). Our laptops will soon be replaced by smaller and smaller objects, much like our handhelds and pdas now, but much smaller of course. but rather than screens they will either have the ability to project the images on a wall or right out into the air and use the particles to project the images onto. Our personal computers/servers will be wireless and will fit into our back pockets. The monitors a three dimensional image projected right in front of us or anywhere we want to. we know this. we are on our way to it -- too damn fast for some who cannot keep up, and too slowly for some of us who are already way ahead of the curve. [the early adapters are always pushing for more and the mainstreamers are always calling to pull things back a bit. Careful balance there...]

But what if we took it to the next inevitable and logical step beyond that? to where our PCs/personal servers were actually wired directly into us. into and onto out bodies, much like wearing earrings or piercings somewhere on our bodies. we are hardwired “on” all the time. except when we decide to turn off or unplug. Each person to their own personal server, AND to the network itself, so in essence to the personal servers/PCs of every other person in the known universe. We can give permissions to anyone we want to view our being on or off, much like we do now with msn or aol instant messaging. now we’re talking my language. Now I'm getting excited.

Personal pcs, the Internet, television, radio, satellite, all of it will all be in the same little unit connected to each of us as we choose; perhaps you will have yours in the form of a watch you wear. Perhaps in the form of a pen you carry in your front shirt pocket, or perhaps it is hardwired into your ear. Or implanted in your brain.

Content will still be subscribed to depending on your preferences, much like today, deducted directly from your credit account. Eye-scans fingerprint scans and voice commands will make identity theft harder and harder; of course it will also take away the last remaining bit of freedom we have left here on earth. It will become more commonplace to be considered guilty before proven innocent. Much as it is today (think Michael Jackson), but even worse. But I digress. come back. so...

our system will be controlled via voice commands. Wake up, open excel and view cash-flow spreadsheet, call Opus, video conference with Opus, he happens to be vacationing in the Hamptons say, but we can see and hear each other just fine via satellite or wifi, no problem. hey bro what's up? how's the wife? Of course he has a little camera attached to his body somewhere too, so his wife comes into the picture and waves hello to me. I see her in my minds eye so to speak. In my own little picture of the universe. ‘hey man look at this. Marc just sent me this movie, check it out. he beams me the movie and I accept it into my system from across the globe. It takes all of three seconds for me to receive the entire file and we are both watching at the same time, in our own brains. or I call Vancouver, dude check out this song. He accepts the beam or the hookup and we are both listening to the same song that is being stored on my server or on a third party server that we are both wired into at the moment. He may be on stage sound-checking somewhere in Mexico and I may be sitting on a lounge chair over looking the Mediterranean in Italy. There is very little hardware because it is all hardwired into us at this point. Just little chips. There are no monitors or screens because they are attached to our eyeballs in some way or hardwired in our brain. so our eyes can be open or closed. Either we see the content of our pcs if we want to. and of course the content of anything else out there as we choose.

The implications? infinite. Couldn’t even begin to fathom. Don't have time now. have to run to a record company meeting. Today we will sign our first artist besides our own band to our label.

For the record the band is kicking ass, though I am close to broke and bankrupt now and spend most of my time scared shitless of starving to death, or worse, having to get a job working for someone else, or doing something else besides playing music and writing.

More later.
Current spin: nick drake, the new rarities one, made to love magic. digging him.

Last screening: the pride and the passion with Cary grant and frank. Didn't dig it at all. considered a classic but I found it boring and silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.