Tuesday, October 19, 2004

In a very strange case of strangeness, this girl I know who lives in Syria showed up this morning at my doorstep all the way over here in New York. She rings me up and says I am here in New York. Where do you live? She is staying at my apartment now. more of a fan than a friend but a friend just the same. I couldn’t exactly put her out on the streets or make her go to a hotel. Crazy times. her English is very slight. so I find myself in the strangest of circumstances now. everywhere I go she follows me around. Even around the small apartment. She just follows me everywhere, stands next to me while I am sitting on the phone or on the computer and watches me. If I go to reach to grab something, she tries to get it for me first and hand it to me. Muslim women are very different than American women. One time we were in the subway, and I took my coat off because I was hot, and she reached out her arm to hold my coat for me in the subway station. I was shocked. Totally reverse roles than we have here in the states. I get the idea that the women are treated very subordinately over there. if a chick is grabbing for your coat to hold it for you. I hope I am showing her that we are different over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.