Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Happy birthday Bas, my brother-man. Yesterday I'm with this grad student from NYU who is writing a paper on me for a project on ‘true believers.’ She is doing what's known as ‘shadowing me.’ following me around, asking me questions. Kindred spirits immediately. Perhaps that's just her job of course. that's what they all do when you first meet them and then you read the article later and you're like totally fucked over. But I refuse to play around and pretend I'm anything but myself either way. I persist in being me regardless. At one point some chick walks in and I say something like ‘she's a monster. But she's hot.’ I just looked at her.... The thing about doing interviews is that you can say something and if its just you and spontaneous and there's nothing behind it, its just funny. Especially if you're used to hanging out with a bunch of guys who are into that kind of humor, saying anything to get a laugh no matter how insane or rude it is.... but then you remember that the slightest thing can be taken out of context and used to make you look like an idiot or worse. But either way, I just roll now.

It does tend to make you see yourself from a more birds-eye view. Looking down and listening, well looking back and remembering actually.... I seem to be obsessed with God and women. Sex and death. I thought the same thing when they were filming that documentary about us last summer. it seemed that all I wanted to talk about was the soul and God and death and how hot or smart some girl was. maybe that's it. you know, sex and death. God and love and romance. at the top of the food chain that's all that's left. Sex and God...

So we are slamming verbally for hours, talking about everything from God to reincarnation to the importance of immediately making love with anyone new you meet of the opposite sex just to ‘get it out of the way’ so you can be friends.

Half the time it seemed like I was interviewing her instead of the other way around. an amazing bird with tons of curiosity, travel experience, and gathered intelligence. New York man. Just fucking New York. no place like it for the people that you meet.

She has this theory about life after death. That we do reincarnate but not the way that most people think of it. that the soul disperses out into the universe and that soul material then goes into many new souls that are being born in that moment. stardust. I called it the ‘molecular dispersion theory’ and we laughed. I don't like the idea though... I am still very much attached to my own immortality... I refuse to even consider that I will dissipate into a million molecules and turn into hundreds of souls rather than just ONE other one in a reincarnated state... but I believe that she may be right anyway... I just don't want to think about it...

Too busy to write much lately. Too busy for email. too busy for too many callbacks. too busy for almost everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.