Saturday, July 23, 2005

Special magic that NIC seems to posses

July 23
Really good news today. got a call from a well known marketing company that Nothing is cohesive is being serviced to a very exclusive tastemakers list of A-list actors musicians and industry folk as one of the “latest and most important breakthrough artists and products out there today.” what good news. I knew we did it. I love that album. I really love it. I think we really made something special there. small perhaps. intimate. But special. Its easy to give up on your work if it doesn’t become an overnight sensation in three months. Seriously. that tendency is always there. just to move on to the next album and abandon the old. But not this one. we’re going to stay loyal to it because we really believe in it. the biggest challenge from an indie-perspective is how to get it into as many hands and ears of potential fans as you can on such limited budget... not easy. advertising and promotion is everything now in the music world. if peeps don't hear it, they can’t dig it. plain and simple. So the challenge is always trying to find creative ways to get the music out to more people so they even know it exists. but slowly NIC is getting into the right hands. The buzz has been good and continues to be. I must say that I always smile when someone calls and raves about NIC. Because I just love it myself as a fan too you know. [and I'm not saying that because I was part of making it. because I don't say the same thing about SWY. I like that album. But it doesn’t have that special magic that NIC seems to posses. I hope we pull that off with this new one. I pray we know what the hell we’re doing with it. time will tell. If you're a regular reader, you'll know long before its ever released, because I'll keep you posted if I like it or not. if its shit you’ll know long before it hits the streets.]

LAST SCREENING: the five obstructions. This is a new film with these two brilliant Danish filmmakers ... Very good. very creative and inspiring art film. will give you gobs of ideas and days of creative juice if you're an artist. If you're not, you may want to pass on this one.

Current spins: Postal service, Slint, Death cab for cutie, Codeine.... just checking out this whole genre if you will. these bands have all built good solid if not household names for themselves. I had checked dcfc before and didn't get it. still don't. there's Emo I get and Emo I don't. I like what Chris carraba and dbc do. he's a hometown boy. Maybe that's part of it, but I don't think so. I just think he's a good songwriter with a cool unique voice. But most of this other stuff I just don't get and don't care to. would like to. as an artist you're always hoping to get off on some new thing. you're dying to. you need to for gods sake. And as music lover too. you want to discover some new treasure. But I haven't found it in any of this stuff. I just have no idea how people are into it... so thoroughly without songs of merit. And some of the most boring and predictable arrangements. This is kids music. really simple and predictable. The only thing I can think of is that people who like this music just don't know a lot of the music that preceeded it. they don't know what's out there so for them maybe this is the best that they’ve ever heard. godspeed to them that think this is the shit that they soon discover the really good music that's being made out there. because there is just so much damn great music being made these days. but these bands are not it.

[“hold on...” I morph into two, turn to face myself, “how the fuck did you do that?!” the first Fishy asks himself, (fascinating that last one really... for then, who am I if I am writing about the two other Fishy’s? a third Fishy? must get to that one later), a string of drool falls to my lap, too much vicodin tonight perhaps. “perhaps, but that's not my point.” “well get on with your point for fucks sake because I must say you have me a little freaked out at the moment.” “I know I know. I can see that. But listen man, isn't the whole idea that there is no way you can qualify what is good or bad art objectively? I mean, those are your words. especially with music. you just got through typing that ‘you hope these other people get on with discovering what the “good” music is, because its certainly not what they're listening to currently. As if to say that what you like is indeed the “good” music. But this goes against everything that you seem to stand for. I'm not sure I get it. that's all I'm saying. hate to frighten you like this, but I just felt that I had to say something.” “fine. Fine. I see what you mean. you’ve definitely got a point there. if I agree with you, will you go away?” “well I can’t really go away per se. after all, I'm you.” “well, will you at least just get back inside me and shut up then? because I'm quite freaked out and frankly I thought I was done with this piece five minutes ago. Its three o'clock in the morning and the last thing in the world I want to be doing right now is debating the philosophical merit of objective criticism of art and music.” “good enough. Just take it back then. I'm tired too. [and frankly, I, the third Fishy, the stenographer of these schizophrenic debates so it seems, am quite tired myself].” “o.k. good enough. You're right. there is no good or bad music. I like what I like. Other people like what they like. Point made. point taken. But I'm not taking it back about what I said earlier about Andy Warhol. That's shit art and you know it.” “I'll give you that one old boy.” “Good. agreed. And please, For Christ’s sake please don't ever do that again.” no answer. good. it appears that he may be gone.]

O.k. so that's that. you can’t like everything. But in other news I am still checking out the dandy warhols and I'm really liking what they did. I enjoy this guy’s writing style. Their guitar player is really good, writes good hooks. good keys. good road music. not that I need road-music right now being land-locked on this island, but I imagine if I ever leave this island again one day I will take a dandy warhols CD with me. no, hold on, there's no such thing as, or need for, CDs anymore... right right. what I meant is that I will make sure that I have at least one or two of their albums in my little ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.