Monday, August 12, 2013

New Album Coming Along - Stepping WAY WAY Out There Now

         Well I think we're doing it again. Princess Little Tree and I joke around about "what a challenge it is to BE Ed Hale" compared to just "dealing with him" like other people do. I'm always like "yeah yeah I know, I'm sorry about that," when she complains about how many different projects I have going at once and how unwieldy and crazy our schedule is, "but just imagine BEING the person who has to LIVE AS me!" I respond. "It's hard enough dealing with me, I know, but it's a whole different thing to keep waking up to the fact that you ARE that person and trying to figure out ways of handling being that person!" 
        I think of it like this: I'm just me. A regular Joe like anyone else. But on top of it, I was born INSIDE this totally crazy super-curious and ambitious wild man who never stops thinking and planning and taking notes and starting new things. If it were up to me, I'd just be chilling like anyone else. The usual things, picnics, TV, movies, family, the park, having drinks with friends, I don't know, whatever normal people do... But I feel like I've got this responsibility to try my best to honor this guy that I was born inside. And he's got this massive imagination and all this ambition and he really does believe he can do it all and more. So I just do my best to make that happen and hang on for the ride; and hopefully survive it all. Yep. It feels like that.
        So we started Ed Hale's new solo album in the summer of 2011. Right at the right time. The first single from the last solo album was taking off. A few months later the second single was doing even better than the first. We needed a new album and we needed it fast. Problem was that we recorded about 17 songs initially and instead of one good solid album, it sounded more like two partially completed albums. So we all flew back to New York to record more songs. Ended up with 34 new songs. So now we've been slowly making progress on them. Little by little. Drums, bass, acoustic guitars and vocals are slowly all getting done. Along with various percussion and keyboards. The crazy thing is how many hundreds of hours it takes to finish one song. At least for us. Now. On this album. Let me put it into perspective. We're in the summer of 2013 now and I'm only done with 12 songs in terms of being done with MY parts. That's insane. I know it. But it's just a lot of work. 
        This album started out as a continuation of the Ballad On Third Avenue album. Acoustic pop, or what in the business we call Adult Contemporary; that's the actual format. But what we've ended up with is three distinct sounds for three distinct different albums. One is still more organic acoustic, what you would call almost folksy. Think Bon Iver or Fleet Foxes or The Lumineers. Simple stuff. Do it in your sleep stuff. But I tire of that real quick. Whether it's mine or someone else's. I have a tough time getting through three songs in a row of that kind of material. So we branched out and made some of the songs more electric, more upbeat, more pop. I dig that. Though it takes a lot more instrumentation and production. And then there's this third style that's coming out that's more like electric folk, kind of like Dylan when he went electric... Rubber Soul perhaps? But not really cause it's more folky. 
        It's all acoustic based. None of it is "rock" per se. And that was the plan. These are Ed Hale solo albums after all, and since all the same players play on these that do the Transcendence albums, THAT'S the only difference between the two artists at this point: the solo albums are slower and softer, more acoustic, more pop, and Ed Hale and the Transcendence albums are more rock. It's just a name/style thing, rather than a change in lineup. I've been working with the same group of guys since 2002 and don't see changing that anytime soon. They're like brothers now. They know what I write and sing like. And they call me on my stuff; they know what to do and say to bring the best out in the music. 
        I've been living in Seattle for the last few months and so we're working out of a studio here. Only problem is that all the guys are in different cities and states around the country now. Most of the guys are still somewhere in South Florida. But others are in LA or Texas or Minneapolis or Atlanta. It's crazy. What we've decided to do, what I've decided to do, is keep on recording the songs here, my parts, and then we email the songs out as MP3s to all these other players -- we've got about 15 additional players now around the country, adding strings, woodwinds, horns, guitars, keyboards, drum programming, background vocals -- and have them import the MP3 into their recording studio rig. They then record their parts onto the track to their liking and then they send only their parts back to us and we then drop them into the original open track, as if they were there in the studio with us. 
         We're really tracking three albums here... We have about 13 songs done with "my parts" now... meaning the basic drums/bass/acoustic guitars, some keys and all my basic lead and background vocals. That's what these guys will be tracking to. But we have musicians all over the country adding other instruments while I am NOT there. And neither is the producer. So there is no way to monitor what they're going to be recording. I've never done ANYthing like this before... NOT being there when peeps record their parts. It could turn into a total MESS. But I'm hoping to create a totally NEW sound by doing it this way -- encouraging the dissonance that will naturally come from the musicians stepping all over each other without knowing it. Trumpet parts stepping all over sax and flute parts etc. It's a crazy idea. 
        Of course we'll mix the messy parts out and just keep the "good parts" Meaning whatever fits and sounds good. And hopefully that will provide a GIANT palette from which to choose for Zeke Zaskin who is set to mix yet again. He's mixed every one of our albums since Nothing Is Cohesive and he always does a great job. Bear in mind that we usually provide absolutely insanely confusing tracks. Usually very messy because we record A LOT. I'll lay down at least 15 different vocal tracks plus three to five guitar tracks and two to five keyboard tracks. In addition Vancouver will lay down five to ten additional guitar tracks. Now we'll be adding an additional 10 to 15 additional musicians all laying down whatever they want to however they want to... 
        It has the potential to be a royal mess. But it also has the potential to be a roaring success, something brand new and exciting sounding. the potential for the musicians to step on each other musically is VERY high. Notes that may sound good to them clashing with notes that other players have added... Cause none of us are going to hear what the other people are adding. But that's what i LOVE about the prospects of this new way of doing it. The utter randomness of it. No, it will not be the usual organic "all built up from the bottom up together as a unit" kind of recording style that we are used to. It's going to be the exact opposite. But that's what I am kind of digging about this new method. We now have the technology to record in this fashion. Of course no one in their right mind would do this on a professional commercial release. It's crazy for sure. But it just may blow us all away with how cool it could sound. 
        In any case, there's a catch up for ya. That's where we are. If you were wondering where this new album is. Yes I know we're a year behind schedule. But there's a valid reason for it. We're trying something a little different with this one. So be patient. As soon as we have something finished, IF we ever finish a song that is.... We'll post it for you all to hear. Frankly I can't wait to hear what this grand experiment produces. It's bound to be new. Good? Can't say yet. The songs are good. But I just may ruin them... LOL! We'll just have to see. Standby on that. 
       As always, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.