Sunday, September 08, 2002


Attended a Rosh Hashanah lunch today with Gina’s family. Her father is the famous tenor from Mexico, Isaac Salinas. They are Cuban and Mexican, but their religion is Jewish. We had been wanting to meet for a long time. It was very nice to be in the same room together with him. I have all his CD’s. It was an honor. The ceremony was brief but moving. The food was good. The company was wonderful. Very artistic family. They know everything about art, cooking, opera. It was very enjoyable. Reminded me of my own family when my grandparents were alive, the kind of family I want to have when I have one, loving, artistic, joyful, spiritual. When my sudden loss of voice came up in the conversation, it turned out I was seated next to a prominent vocal teacher by the name of Dr. Miriam Armon. She has taught all over the world, Milan, Kiev, Budapest, Israel, and now here in America. She gives master classes at Lynn University and at the Florida Grand Opera. I told her I quit smoking cigars, quit caffeine, quit vitamins, quit steam rooms, even quit eating and fasted for ten days to get my voice back. And still nothing. I'm fucked. She said it isn't anything I am taking or doing, but the way I have been taught the last six months. She said she can have my voice back up in a month. But I shouldn’t sing at all until she works with me for about two months. I laughed. Told her I had too many shows booked already. She yelled at me. Wanted to hit me. Said I was stupid for not taking it seriously. She speaks of the voice like it is the greatest gift. Very religious this one. Dramatic. Very strong personality. I will meet with her this week to see what she can do.

A few more CD reviews popped up in the press. This time they weren't all good. Bas has always told me to never read them. And if I do, never take them seriously. When we get good reviews we all get so excited every one walks around with a big smile on their face. But when a bad one comes in, sometimes it can sting a bit. Often times you just laugh. But sometimes they write with such venom as if you killed someone in their family or something like that, they just absolutely despise you just for this album you made. And yea in a way that is funny, and of course it’s better than being ignored. After I read this one review I had to get up and jump around a little bit, shake it off. What a thing to wake up to. I thought about it a little, kind of went deep into it in my own mind, and I just felt like man, you know, I really like what we did there on the record. I mean, good or bad reviews, Bas is right. What's really important is how we feel about it, and I still really like that album. regardless of what people say about it, I can measure my life by before and after we made that work, because it did make that kind of an impact on me. I think that for an artist that is what is important, just to keep going regardless of what is popular or if what you are doing is vibing with the current mainstream or anyone for that matter. The important thing is to just keep creating your art. Especially if you are getting off on it as an artist. I mean if it is feeding you, then you just keep doing it. On fire.  

Last movie: La Vitta e’ Bella (Life is Beautiful). Watched it again. One of all time favorites. Also, Roxy Music and T. Rex live in the early seventies at Music Laden Club in Germany. Classic Roxy Music!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.