Monday, July 14, 2003

Studied articles and prepositions today. Forget about it. I will speak like Tarzan forever. They have over fifty different articles and prepositions, depending on the word it comes before. In English we have maybe ten; a, the, by, of, with, to, for, in. And seriously they have at least fifty or sixty. Six different words for the word ‘the’ alone.

So tired today. Walking and riding every where in the hot sun is very different than driving around in an air conditioned car everywhere.

The girls are so beautiful here. how do you choose just one. but more importantly how do you talk to them when you cant even talk? Pardon me, where I can buy a CD please. this is what I sound like I think. maybe I can start dating young girls like in elementary school or kindergarten, because this is what I speak like. All the girls stare at me, peer out of the corner of their eye. Which is very nice. normally I'm the one doing the peering out of the eye, but I'm too focused here on learning right now. but sometimes I think it makes things harder. Harder to meet them. Everyone thinks I'm famous here. even people who have never heard of me. why, I don't know. but it makes things harder. People get shy. I think I'm going through one of those ‘looking famous phases.’ Maybe I am famous and I just don't know of me yet. I am always the last to get into stuff my friends always say. I must look myself up. See who I am now. Maybe I am huge and don't know it. that would be good because I could use the money that I am sure comes with this fame.

Went to the piazza Michelangelo tonight with some friends from Costa Rica. Sits high on a mountain. Saw the sun setting over the whole city with all the towers and churches. Very beautiful. we ate dinner and admired my old beat up bicycle. Roxanne commented I bet you would never have that bicycle in Miami, it would be garbage; but here it is precious to you. We all laughed and agreed. My precious beat up bicycle with no brakes. Things are relative.

Everywhere and anywhere you go there is a little café or bar or restaurant on the corner. Just like new York. Very much like New York except that there are no chain stores of any kind anywhere. Only little mom and pop places. All the doors of everything are always open and there are no goofy corporate uniforms. Everyone just wears what they want. Maybe an apron. You can go into any café or bar and order food, pizza, salad, soda, coffee, or alcohol or beer or wine or pastries. Sit down and eat it or stand there at the bar. Any shop. They all have the same stuff. although they might specialize in one thing or another. its amazing. I keep forgetting to talk about food although I am taking notes in my palm. For lunch I always go to this same place. And I can just sit there if I want to and have a big dish of tomatoes and olive oil and onions and mozzarella. And then maybe a plate of rice, and vegetables, like a cold salad. Every bite takes me back to my childhood growing up with my grandma making us our meals everyday. It is very nice. the other night for dinner I had a huge plate of arucala, avocado, cheese and pine nuts in a pesto sauce. It was out of this world. Tonight I had thinly sliced steak and arugala in olive oil for dinner. Red wine and a chocolate Tartuffe. When la Princesa or Cleopatra would tell me you belong living in Italy, I didn't know this is what they meant. I thought they were just saying it. I didn't realize...

Current read: studying the history of Italy, from the very beginning to modern times. Fascinating.
Current Spin: fabrizio de andre, anime salve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.