Tuesday, September 23, 2003


So I'm here in this new office now.  I am still not used to it. But I like it. I have decided to try to completely separate from Cleopatra and the businesses that we have together as much as possible. Its really like starting over.  Just totally starting over.  I'm used to having this very large staff working for me and now its just me since my assistant moved to Boston. I'm not rehiring one because honestly I just don't have the money from the record company yet. So if I'm not working at the other companies and I'm just trying to work at building the band and the record company then I'm just going to have to go it alone right now. so yes its fucking very weird. I'm used to being a CEO at two multi-million dollar companies by day and a singer/songwriter by night, trying to build a fledgling independent record label with a small staff. and I'm used to all the expected benefits that go along with being in that position. So now its like when I need an office supply its like I have to find a way to get it myself. Its pretty weird. Or when I need lunch I have to call for it myself. Or booking appointments, or booking travel, or just fucking anything. God just writing this is fucking depressing me. I have to even pay my own bills. I haven't even been in a bank in seven years. I haven't licked a stamp in ??? I don't know, years. the other day I went to the post office for the first time since I think the mid nineties. That will definitely be the first and last time I ever go to a fucking us post office. I can’t believe people deal with those lines. No sensible person would. So even errands I will run myself for a while. Facts are facts. I resigned. I am no longer the CEO of two huge companies; I am just a singer now, trying to get his band and his record company to actually make money rather than just spend money. A daunting task. I am CEO now of a very small company that cannot even afford to pay me. so that's the facts. So no assistant. But as I write this I smile, because we may be under funded, but I am still smart. I am still the brilliant entrepreneur I always have been. I have built many businesses up from nothing and I will do the same with this one. I believe in it. I believe in the music we are making as a band. And I believe in myself as a songwriter. And as a business man and entrepreneur. But none of that is making it easy...

So I'm not sitting in my thousand dollar Herman miller ergonomically designed chair in a plush thousand square foot office right now. Instead I am actually sitting in a forty dollar office depot special in a space with about sixty other people all of us sharing office space. Its pretty humbling. Its like I'm back to square one. But somehow I feel a sense of power from the honesty of the situation. And I have to confess here, although I know it may minimize the dramatic element, I am going to go grab my Herman miller chair and drag it up the elevator into this space. I think for the last few years I have been living on borrowed time. Living a life that wasn't completely mine. The truth is that I own the building where my old office is. I can go there tomorrow and have my old office back. all my stuff is still set up in there. but I just feel like it would be going backwards. I need new scenery. New everything. Now I am really in my element. Starting from scratch again. in the empire building process at the very beginning.... I feel more like me. I will be wealthy enough within the next six months to afford my own huge office somewhere else, preferably in New York if I can figure out what to do about the band. This is the promise I make to myself. Now I am just one desk sharing a huge open space, and for now I like that. a private office is actually not that much more, but I just hate the idea of renting anything. Especially when I already have an office two miles away. But we can make a lot more money renting that whole building. And this is cool here. Everything is taken care of. Copy machine. Mail drop. Ups, FedEx, kitchen, receptionist, great view, fax machine, phone, Internet. And without a staff now, this is a fucking amazing set up. I just need a little more privacy.

So within three months I will have an assistant again. That is my number one priority. That is the first thing we hire here. That is for fucking sure. Its just like building up any business. I've done it a million times already. I should have done this years ago. But you have to get in that position where you really believe in your self and in your music or in your art whatever that is. We need to make money. We need to become a profitable record company. 

Last screening: Love and sex. Cute movie. This girl is hot. “You're all going to die. Think about it. You’re all going to die. And no one is going to remember you because they're all going to be dead too.” this is basically it isn't it. That’s life.
Current read: a little matter of genocide by ward Churchill. Check it out if you dare...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.