Thursday, September 25, 2003

Talked with the producer today. what a puss. he is telling me that you have to be on tour to be signed by a major label. I point him to about ten major label signings in the last two years all of them huge stars and none of them doing shit before they were signed. He's telling me he's talking to an attorney who knows everything. I tell him look attorneys talk out of their ass. That's what we pay them to do. Please don't listen to any fucking attorneys. The guy is just so wrong. He like everyone else is trying to nail down an industry in one sentence as if this one idea is IT. And there is no one idea in any industry. There are simply no rules bro. So relax. Were on the right track. The CD isn't even out yet and you’re already discouraged.

So I'm filling him in on everything going on with the record company and where we are with promoting the record. Basically we need about $50,000 to get the record out there to the people, between distribution and press and retail promo and radio promo, and now we have sold out of our first pressing so we need to make more, which is good but also sucks. So here we are in this position where the CD is barely out and in order to really do something we need to spend at least 15,000 dollars. 

A lot of people freaking out. But only because they don't know business. They know music. They make cds. They put them out meaning they give a copy to their parents and all their friends and they sell some at shows. And that's what they do. And they get stuck with thousands of cds sitting around their house. That's not putting out a CD. Our last album rise and shine sold thousands and thousands of copies and we still didn't make enough money from it to live. And really that's what this is all about. Us making a living from playing our music. From doing our art together. I dream about just being able to make music all the time. I have written some 850 maybe 860 songs in my life. That’s my thing. The lust of the next song. To me it is more than an art that I pursue vociferously. It is an addiction. To write songs. The whole concept. The whole adventure of it. I not only consider myself an expert at it. I also consider myself a huge fan of it and an addict. Songwriting and singing and producing albums, like movies, that's my life. That’s my passion. And I've been doing it since I was a little kid. And I have always made a moderate living at it. But not a good living. And the boys in the band. Most of them still live at home. So our goal is just to get to that next level where we can make music all the time and get paid really well at it.

One of my biggest fears, the kind of fear that keeps you up all night tossing and turning and you can’t sleep and you gotta get up and take something to get to sleep kind of fears is when I start thinking about what if I never get to that point where I have enough money to record all the songs I have written. That to me would be the worst thing that could ever happen to me. Right now I am on a recording rampage. That is why we haven't been playing out. Because it is hard to get us all in the same room at the same time because all the guys are always out playing some gig somewhere to try to make money. So when we do get together I just want to record because we are all so good right now. So connected and creative together. And I had this revelation that work is great. And yea playing shows is great. But the most important thing is what you put out there forever. No one sits and talks about the Beatles when they played such and such show. But we are still sitting around listening to their albums. So now for me the goal is just to record like fucking crazy till I die. And try to get all these songs that I have written out there for posterity.

The producer saying “you guys have to fucking play out more. I'm screaming back. Bro in case you haven't noticed we are not in a rock scene here in Miami. There is no audience for rock or pop music. A small scene at best. That is why bands don't make it out of here. That is why clubs that have rock are always empty. I'm sorry, but its not happening enough to warrant playing out more than once a month or so. Then we can get a good crowd here in our hometown. But any more than that and we’re playing to a small room of people. We receive new street team members all the time on our website. Every fucking day from every city in the country. and how are they hearing about us? From us playing out? no. from our CDs. People send in the most amazing letters telling us how much they love us etc. people from new York or Phili or Minneapolis. But how many street teamers do we have here in Miami? One or two. Its just not a rock scene so that's the dilemma. Sold out of our initial pressing of sleep with you in less than a week. How many sold in Miami? 0. So it’s a weird place to be a rock band. But hey we live here so for now, that's that. 

So we gotta get the music out there, to the rest of the world. That's the goal when you live in a place like this. I would assume it is the same say if you were in Iceland or something. You just want to get out of Iceland and get your music heard by America. And we’re the same way here in Miami, all of us rock bands. We just want America to hear our music. Cause Miami stopped being part of America over a decade ago. And like many South American countries they just don't really dig rock music too much. We’re more of a novelty. But man these fans up in the north east and the Midwest they keep us going. But we have to be able to afford now to really get this new CD out there. And the budget is coming in at about 16 to 20 thousand dollars like I said. Which honestly is nothing. But we are pretty much flat broke. Sp how do you raise 16 to 20 thousand dollars to promote a CD? Hell if I know. But I know I am about to do it. Same way I raised twenty thousand to record and make the CD. I will raise the money to promote it. What we should have done is keep all the money we made from selling rise and shine instead of spending it on more and more promo. But we are smarter now. You live and learn. 

Makes me not even want to pick up a fucking guitar. Cause I get so caught up in the business end of it. I hate that. That’s what I'm talking about. We just need make enough to be able to do the music fulltime and not have to do all this other stuff. Crazy stuff. And yea it does take away from the enjoyment of the making of the music, cause you get so obsessed with the business end of it. And at the gym today this good friend of mine and I are talking about Brasilian music and he is telling me all these artists I would like and he asks me “Do you have a CD burner? I will bring you a bunch to copy...” and then he realizes who he is talking to. I slam the weights down. And I just look at him. I mean I understand. But seriously we are fucked. Earlier the same day this girl at the office is telling me how her and her boyfriend haven't bought a CD in two years. they just download them and make their own cds. Assholes. Its just gotten to that point now where everyone is freaking. And its no wonder. People love music. Absolutely love it. but they just don't give a shit how they get it or if they pay for it. it just doesn’t matter to them. they don't care if its stolen. They don't care if the artists don't make any money or have to sell out to big corporations to make a living. They just don’t care. Its such a weird phenomenon we are all witnessing. It is the literal rape of a whole group of people by everyone else. 

O.k. enough of that. More later. The point is that Sleep with you will hit a radio station and a record store near you, no matter where YOU are, in the next few weeks. We will make it happen. How? I don't know, but I will make sure it happens.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.