Thursday, December 04, 2003

O.k. temporary moment of insanity the last day. Got so down over reading the bad reviews that I didn't focus on all the good stuff going on. But something miraculous happened. In the last twelve hours we have been so deluged with emails and calls and review postings from fans saying how much they love the new CD that you easily forget about one or two people who don't yet get it. so I do want to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has called or emailed or posted great reviews about the band’s new CD. Please know that it means the world to us. it really means a lot when you share with us how you feel and how much our music means to you. I don't think people have any idea how much it really means to us as a band. Especially at this level when you're really still struggling to make ends meet and spending all of your free cash on guitar strings or just to buy more shirts or stickers to throw out to fans. it means a lot. Thanks you guys!

And to the guys that are dissing the new CD, thanks to them too. for me its been a really important lesson; today I was in the bookstore. I bought this gorgeous book on Frida kalo. And I started thinking about all the times when I diss on other artists. Man we do it all the time. and then something snaps in you. you realize holy shit, not everyone is going to get your shit. That's just the way it is. and yeah peeps are going to go crazy talking about how bad you are and how much you suck. That's just the way it goes. Zeke emails me and says, ‘hey bro welcome to the music biz. Haven't you ever had a bad review before?’ and I tell him, not really. Just mostly good ones and I guess I never paid much attention to that cause they were always good. so a lot of times I never even read them. Because after all I already like what we do.”

He tells me I'm lucky. man maybe I'm just lucky but for the last ten years I've never been very popular but I've always been kind of respected for just doing my own eclectic thing. Popular with the critics (except in fort Lauderhell) and not selling millions of albums. So in that respect I'm not used to this idea of getting bad reviews. My problem has always been more about how to make something accessible enough to reach more than ten people. Zeke responds, “well you are lucky then. Bad reviews are part of it. They come with the territory. Welcome to the club. Just up your dosage of medication.” He laughs. Cleo tells me ‘well Fishy you are extremely self absorbed and self obsessed so its not like he was making that part up in his review... but that's the way we like you. So don't change.’ ‘uh, o.k. then, thanks, I think.” then me remembering the Ferret the first time he heard the song Girls looking at me in the car a few months ago and saying “dude you are going to get so slammed for this. this is so sophomoric and egocentric and childish...” and he fucking co-wrote the song and was laughing about it the whole time. And yep. Sure enough. If we get more bad reviews than good ones then I'm seriously going to move to France. Like all good American artists and ex-pats do. We’ll still release the next one, cause its almost done, but I won't be here for that one. I'll be hiding out, away from evil critics. And we’re not putting our faces on the cover of the new one. Now I know why all the bands just put some stupid generic picture that has nothing to do with anything on their CD covers---so reviewers can’t make fun of them. Anyway, today we mailed out almost 200 t-shirts to radio stations who are currently spinning the disc. Thanks to them. May the fun continue. May this be only the beginning of a wonderful and wild ride for sleep with you. Our little baby.

Current Spin: Dolly Parton career retrospective. Digging it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.