Sunday, December 12, 2004

At the cigar store this morning and I'm sitting next to this guy and he overhears me talking to Dasher about the show. And I'm screaming “dude you know what? you don't have to break this shit down anymore. Everyday it’s the same fucking thing. I know it doesn’t seem cohesive yet. that's because we haven't filmed enough yet. period. Once we have more footage, we’ll know what we have. It is inherently interesting. Real people ARE interesting! The Bishop? Al Sharpton? That's interesting!” “Yeah but how does that all fit together? what is the point of this?” he screams back at me. “Dude that's life. Life isn't cohesive. But somehow it all ties in together. The lesbian interview? Look man, what guy hasn’t thought about why a girl would one day decide she is gay?! Or do lesbians miss penises?! I mean how satisfying is just two girls having sex with each other? Don't you want to know about that? I do. That shit is interesting man!”

This guy sitting next to me at the store is looking at me like I'm crazy. after I get off the phone we start talking and sharing what we do with one another. He tells me that he's a retired investor. He is only 44 years old. I look at him a few minutes later, and I'm like, ‘so you're retired huh? Like, you're home free?’ And he's like ‘economically yes.’ so I was fascinated. I told him about my plan to settle with 3.8 million and asked him if that were enough. He asked me how much I wanted to live on per year. I told him I would be comfortable with 180,000. He said ‘no way.’ said that ‘a good rule of thumb is six times what you want to draw a year. you want to pull a hundred and eighty thousand a year comfortably and not worry about running out, you're going to need about six mill.” Wow. Good info.

Tells me that the guys on Wall Street live by the 10 by 40 rule. I ask him what that is. he tells me its simple. They want to have ten mill in the bank by the time they hit 40 to retire on. Wow. Tells me that half the guys I'm sitting in the store with today are billionaires. That he knows most of them. says that five mill was ‘one deal’ if you know what you're doing. That's one deal. Its nothing once you get started. He then asks me if I plan to have a wife and children. ‘yep,’ I answer. ‘well then you better raise that figure if that hundred and eighty is just for you alone.’ Tells me that I should count on $240,000 per child just for education from k through 12 without putting any food in their mouths if I want them in good schools like his kids had. and what about the wife? If you're living on a hundred and eighty a year what's she living on? You thought about that?”

Again, wow. I have a lot to learn. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.