Wednesday, April 06, 2005

On a plane. Going to Seattle.

French class today started again. third semester for me now and I still feel like I can’t speak a fucking word. Frustrating. But I am entirely committed. I will do it. I will master this language. Will bring down this beast in me that makes it seem so difficult. If not for communicating with the French, which doesn’t seem half as important since they all seem to speak English anyway these days, I will bring it into me and make it a part of me so I can study African music in north-western Africa with the masters. This feels big and important. so everyday I go and I focus as much as I possibly can for a guy who has the attention span of a three year old. But I'm really trying. If I could just get the French people at my school to display even an ounce of passion about anything. Just anything, then I know I would get it better. But they just don't seem to posses any passion whatsoever. Not for their music or their film or their art. The total opposite of the Brazilians or the Spanish or the South Americans or the Italians. so there's nothing for me to grab onto and run with. You know how their music has that lazy matter of fact sound to it... well that's the way the people come off. That's why French bands like Tahiti 80 and phoenix who sing in English not French come off so good, because they are singing more American, more English, more passionate. throwing more of themselves into it. I swear to God these French people come off like they're all on downers all the time. so intellectual and passive. And maybe that's it. maybe its me who needs to shift viewpoints. I need to allow them to be as they are and stop trying to get them to be what I want or need them to be. anyway that's how I approached this new semester and I have to admit I did feel more into it and felt like I learned a bit more.

Current spin: Nellie, his new one, SUIT. LOVE HIM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.