Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Fucking a. already June fucking first.

No wonder I say I'm not moving to California.... “look honey the house and everything we own and love just slid off a mountain and is destroyed...” an people who live in California will always tell you ‘don't worry about it. it’ll never happen. and yet every year we hear about it happening... humans in general are pretty whacked.
(But lets be fair, live in New York and take the risk of being blown up by terrorists. Live in the Midwest and get blown away by tornados. Live in the South or the east coast and get blow away by hurricanes. West coast and you're sucked up by earthquakes. We’re fucking doomed no matter where we live.)

California landslide sends homes crashing

Damaged homes sit on a collapsing hill
A landslide sent at least five expensive homes crashing down a hill in Laguna Beach, California, today and may have damaged many others. The earth was still moving beneath the homes. Some fell nearly intact, while others were ripped apart and left trails of debris. There was no immediate word on whether there were any injuries.

Current read:
O.k. so where are we? Well as fate would have it, as if fate has anything, I had just recently purchased and stated to watch a DVD series of Abraham-hicks material. Good stuff. highly recommended. As I said already. The general idea espoused in the message is that life is all about joy and freedom. Our lives. And that's a great message. That everything is alright. And that it is through our desires that we control our destiny and that life flowing through us through our desires is that purpose of life. good enough. I love it.

Now I also started at the same time reading a book called ‘becoming like God: our ultimate destiny through the kabalah.’ Now his whole premise is that we are like God and that the way to become more like God is through letting go of the egos ‘desire for personal gain.’ Wouldn’t you know that I am absorbing both ideas at the exact same time. during the day I am reading this guy teach how you have to let go of the egos desire for personal gain and just focus on sharing everything with everyone... which is very similar to Avatar actually. And yet the abe-hicks material teaches the exact opposite: that life is all about our own personal desires flowing through us and this is how we achieve ultimate happiness.
So what's the answer? well as all things great and small in the universe, chances are the answer is somewhere in between. And that my friends is how money is made creating and selling things to others. choose a side, any side, the middle is the answer but you won't make any money espousing the virtue of the middle. So you pick a side and you run with it, tell everyone that that's the answer and then a year later they're buying another book telling them that the other side is the answer. confusing? sure. But not if you don't take any of it with any more than a grain of salt or two, whatever the hell that means.

Silent bob and the toilet.
Of course I am still reading ‘silent bob speaks, the collected essays of Kevin smith.’ Which again forget about it I highly recommend to anyone that just enjoys laughing because the guy is hilarious. This book is non stop laughs. laughing out loud laughs. like you can’t believe what he writes kind of laughs. but I limit almost all reading to the John. because frankly I just don't have time and shouldn’t even be spending any time reading right now because I'm just too effing busy doing my own thing. so as long as I limit my reading to the John only I tell myself that I can sneak in a few minutes of reading everyday. But the thing about this book is that its so funny that I'm finding myself spending way too much time in the bathroom. Sitting there till my legs fall asleep. I mean, I’ll spend twenty minutes in there just because I don't want to put silent bob’s book down. Now that's a good book. Trust me, read it.

I unfortunately had to spend three hours on the phone with Microsoft yesterday because I've spent every cent I've had saved on this goddamned TV show dream I have so I cannot presently afford to pay someone else to do it for me as I normally would. I had five issues to contend with. Quick because this is effing boring. Important but boring. I will not “prose” so much here as just “scribble” for the record. when you change computers you need to do something that I like to call “migrate.” You need to get all of your data and settings over to your new computer. You’ve got your documents, pictures, mp3s, and all that stuff is pretty easy to transfer. But then you’ve got your custom dictionary from Word. You’ve got your auto correct entries. You’ve got your Outlook data and all your own custom windows settings. Etc. its not as easy as you think. if you're not a power user you probably don't use this stuff and so you just transfer your basics and start from scratch and don't even know it. But if you do use all this stuff, you need a way to get it all over to your new computer. My custom dictionary for example is something I have been transferring from computer to computer since 1995 now. I have thousands of entries in there so obviously I need them transferred when I upgrade computers or I'll have to learn how to spell.

What amazes me is that Microsoft still has no idea how to help people migrate from to a new computer. You get them on the phone and they act like they don't know what you are talking about. you have to speak with ten different departments and they still barely manage to get what you are trying to. its amazing because as always you spend half your time trying to help them understand how essential it is to migrate all of your data and not just your ‘my documents’ folder. I am always in shock how they just don't have a program already designed for this, even though they are still constantly trying to branch out into other areas where they don't even belong – like trying to compete with the iPod. But they're not even finished taking care of what they do do and should be doing.

Same thing with backing up. I ask the tech on the phone... ‘bro, if you do a back up every week as everyone should but you only back up you’re my documents folder you're going to lose half of your stuff.’ ‘that's correct sir.’ ‘o.k. so what do you offer us to help us back up ALL OF OUR STUFF?’ ‘uuummm, I don't really know.’ ‘o.k., so what do you do? I mean with your own system?’ ‘well I just back up my documents...’ so it doesn’t bother you that if you have a crash that you're going to lose so much? I mean what do you tell totally high end power users that don't want to lose ten years worth of their downloaded files and programs and system settings?’ ‘that's not my department sir.’ ‘o.k. so you're saying that from what you know Microsoft doesn’t offer us a simple back up utility to do weekly back ups of our entire system?’ ‘not from what I know.’ ‘and if we try to backup our whole hard drive it won't work right? I tried it and it never works because there are too many files at use and it will just error out because you can’t back up files that are currently in use.’ ‘you know more about this than I do sir.’

And we’re paying them 35 an hour to help us. you know you spend way too much time on the computer when you have a better knowledge base than a Microsoft employee. crazy. this world is crazy.

Ps — It’s fucking freezing in New York again. why? I have no fucking clue but its June 1st and its fucking freezing. Where are we? Mars?

Current spin: rough guides best of china compilation. A good compendium of Chinese music. interesting. More western sounding than one would guess. Wish it were more Chinese sounding. But still interesting. Notice that I cannot absolutely cannot work to music. I cannot think when music is playing with lyrics. But I can work to ambient music. BUT today I noticed that I can also work to Chinese music. what I understand is that I just can’t work to music with English being sung. Because it throws me off. But if its in a diff language then its no problem. good. because I like music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.