Saturday, July 30, 2005

Can foundations have an impact?

The most glorious day in New York today!!!! the city is just so alive with people smiling and happy from this great weather. how lucky we are indeed to live in this wonderful little world called New York city. went to the guitar shop in the morning with little Ty. Then we tried to get into a gentleman’s club. He's twelve of course so they gave him a hassle. But he really wanted to go in. so he tried to use his dads Jewish community center swimming pool ID. But it didn't work. We did have a lot of fun playing on a bunch of guitars going from store to store. Almost all of my favorite acoustics in the world were damaged from the climate change between Miami and here. but they managed to fix most of them thank God. I am so happy to have them back. they are like children. Today I sat and just sang and played in my apartment for the first time in so long. its weird but when my guitars are injured and in the shop its like I can’t play the other ones. I just let them sit there... now I feel so happy that they're all back where they belong.

Still studying this foundation stuff. reading studying learning getting into it. at one point they mention “improving our effectiveness and impact of our program areas.” I ask myself, ‘can foundations have an impact? Are they effective? What are the program areas? Think about this. whoever you are. whoever we are. whatever we do in life. in our day to day. there are people out there just like us who spend their time energy and money on helping us. whether its helping our environment, or giving money for scientific research, or helping education of our young, or homeless people, or older people... they are helping. They are spending their time and money and effort helping make the world a better place. not just using resources and living for their own life but living to help the lives of others. Wow. I am just still blown away by the opportunity this affords us. we all have this opportunity to help like this. but we have to find out within ourselves how we can and want to help. For everyone its going to be something different. Some people perhaps volunteering is going to be their thing. I get down on myself for not volunteering sometimes. But maybe that's just not my thing. building a foundation. Now that's my thing. created a flow chart outlining the steps one would need to take in order to start and maintain a really valuable foundation. First step really is just to create the cash. Expendable cash that you don't need for yourself. And then from there, just invest it so it can continue to build forever. you can then use the net profits minus taxes and expenses from those net profits to give to worthy causes. Its really that simple. Again though, first step. Have the cash there that you don't need personally. I'm not there yet. I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum, still spending more than I am bringing in. man if you could help by being good at that... I'd be a great giver. I am so good at that. spending more than I bring in. haha. but I am changing from learning about this concept of foundations. Its one thing to start a charity and that's a groovy thing. that's what I'm doing now. and it’s a great feeling. But to start a whole foundation that gives to tons of different charities.... now that's just an amazing concept. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.