Sunday, January 18, 2004

Went to dinner with Ducky who is down to hang with her parents for a few days. Caught up. talked all about all of our old friends from high school and what everyone is doing now. everyone is married with children now. hearing about all these people that you went to high school with and their marriages and children and divorces really made me appreciate how lucky I am that I hadn't got married yet. I know I wasn't supposed to feel that way. looking at all these pictures of people with their kids, on the boat or at Disney world or whatever. I think your supposed to feel really happy for them and like want that for your own life. but for me it just made me so happy that I've been able to live the crazy nomadic lifestyle I have over the years and very relieved that I don't have all that yet.

Hadn’t seen her parents in like twenty years. Her mom is telling me I'll never get married. Your just the perennial bachelor. You’ll be sixty and still think you're in college. I plead with her no Mrs. Ducky its absolutely not true. I would love to get married. Maybe.... Hehe. I just haven't met my wife yet... but if you see her, will you please let her know I'm looking for her and tell her to call me on my cell phone....’ she didn't know if I was kidding or what. Just looked at me like oh my God this kid is still totally insane...

The older you get the more you really start to appreciate the friends you have. the really old long standing been there forever kind of brothers and sisters we collect through the years. its such a nice feeling. Hadn't seen each other in years and there we were drinking and eating and joking; commented that we felt as if we had not spent any time a part at all. that's what old friends feel like.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The whole time warp thing is still happening. I pull over on the side of the road all the time now to write on my laptop; I'm doing this thing where ever I am I just pull out my laptop or a pad or my guitar and I just start working. Take notes or work on a song. I'm on this date the other night and we’re at this gas station and I'm pumping gas but then I whipped out this pad and started taking notes and I forget that I'm pumping gas and there's this girl in the passenger’s seat waiting for me. She gets out and says what the hell is happening? What are you doing? Oh you know just taking some notes here on the trunk. Sorry. It's like a time warp.
Its very strange, as if I'm living in some alternate universe. You know, it is just totally without structure. My life now. Because in this business its very weird. We play shows at like midnight or rehearse at night. so during the day there is like all this time. like father Bloopy, he sleeps from like six in the morning till like 4 in the afternoon. Its crazy. you can easily see why a lot of other singers become drug addicts or alcoholics because during the day it is easy to look for things to do till your next show or whatever... Puling over to the side of the road to sit and take notes or type a while or work on a song. Because you know without a normal job or kids or a family there really isn't any structure, is there. its just mad chaos. Its just you and your guitar and a laptop. And that's pretty insane actually when you stop for a moment and think about it.

Where are you going? well I'm not sure. I'm just going to go out there, (points to the front door), and see what's out there. I've got my guitar. So I'll be alright I suppose. Just venture out into the great unknown and take some notes.... and then you find yourself getting an espresso somewhere and typing away. and then you find yourself on the side of the road typing away madly in your front seat while all these cars are whizzing by. And this sheriff comes by with the big boots and the dark glasses and the flashlight knocking on your window. Roll it down a bit, ‘uh yes?’ son, what are you doing parked here on the highway with that laptop? What are you doing? Are you a terrorist? Oh for goodness sakes no officer. I'm not a terrorist. Well then who are you? why I'm fishy of course and I'm just taking notes.’ Who is fishy? I don't know. I just made that up actually. But I am taking notes. No worries. Well what are your notes about? well they're about The Adventures of Fishy of course... he thinks I am insane. You know so off I’m carted to jail.... its just madness.

What are you in for? Oh I was taking notes on the side of the road. Just me and my laptop and my guitar. It was crazy. you know they had to call the swat team. Shut the whole city down. And then everyone in the jail cell starts backing away from me because they're so frightened. Think I'm a crazy terrorist. Its just insanity without limits this life really. Who are you? well at this point I don't even know anymore. Just some guy who sings sometimes and writes a lot. I think I understand why a wife or family may be an important thing in a man’s life. I mean, If for anything it may help you to not go totally mad.

Vancouver has actually gone insane already. He is only 23 but I think he may be certifiable already.

Although on an entirely different note, we did manage to bake a ham this week in our continuing adventures of meat making. I poured maple syrup all over the ham before I put it in. Don't ask me why. I just thought it would taste good. But of course that was a huge mistake because maple syrup is somehow flammable who the fuck knew that. and so the entire house filled with smoke within fifteen minutes and we had to run out coughing and screaming.... but after all, the ham didn't taste that bad.

Current Spin: collection of fifties doo-wop. Great.

“Life, a sexually transmitted incurable disease.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.