Sunday, January 09, 2005

An amazing day with Mitch. brunch in the union square area. Then walking all around the downtown area of the city, just meandering with no intention, catching up. hadn't seen each other in almost two years. he's lived here forever so he showed me around. all the cool places. We strolled through noho, soho, nolita, the village, west village, Chinatown, little Italy. Walked for hours. Literally all day. what a beautiful varied cultured city this is. no place like it in the entire world.

And then I trained up to what I thought was going to be this cool church uptown that advertised a full gospel choir at a 6pm service. But no gospel choir at all.

I decided to stay anyway just to cop the God vibe. But what I got instead was, well, the usual perverted and distorted view of reality that the Christian religion offers as its usual fare. I mean, I went there really wanting to dig in, you know. I mean, I was raised Christian so its easy to sort of try to overlook all the untruths and half truths in their beliefs and just cop the positive vibage, in spite of all the holes and problems in the fundamentals of what's underneath it all. sometimes I can do it and sometimes I cannot. When its more open minded and just good positive vibes I can do it. like the Unity Church. I can dig that. and when there is kicking Pentecostal preaching and grooving gospel music going on and tambourines shaking I can get into it and forgive them for all the other misgivings inherent in their limited understanding of life on earth.

But not tonight. within five minutes I was realizing we weren't in Kansas anymore, or better put, we weren't in nyc anymore; it was more like we were in Kansas. The preacher starts reading from the book of Samuel in what they call the bible about how this God that they created and still find a way to believe in after all these years had instructed Saul to completely exterminate the entire city and all of the people of amalicyte. The whole sermon was about how Saul didn't do this completely and wanted to save the king and save the best of the sheep and lamb and how much of a sin that was, to disobey this God.. And I'm sitting there thinking ‘who the fuck believes in a God who instructs people to kill whole cities and whole nationalities of people?’ I mean, who in this day and age is still so ignorant and unevolved to still believe in a God this base and impure and un-transcendent? And yet I was sitting in a room filled with these people.

To imagine that these people take the bible as something holy... I was filled with fear for the human race for about thirty minutes while I was sitting in there. ‘these people are hundreds of years less evolved than we are’ I was thinking. they are taking this crap as some kind of holy word of God, real eye for an eye stuff. real low-minded unevolved stuff. and I was really saddened by it. the preacher is screaming that when God tells us to destroy a whole city and all of its people then we better listen no matter what. and I'm thinking ‘you have got to be kidding. This has got to be a joke. There is no way these people believe this shit. and yet clearly they do. they believe that God is a spiteful vengeful God, that he wishes to kill people. that he wishes us to kill people. and yet one of their ten commandments is thou shall not kill. Crazy stuff. absolutely insane asylum stuff. the only thing that stops us form locking all the Christians up in insane asylums is that the majority of the country are still Christians. But by all logical accounts their beliefs are so unfounded and so dangerous that they would all be proved entirely insane in any court of law. But because the whole country was founded on these Christian beliefs we let it all fly and hang out no matter how ridiculous it is.
Somehow the preacher then gathered that Jesus is lord out of all of this and I have no idea how. Just a total non-sequitor coming out of nowhere. And everyone started screaming hallelujah and amen and I was scared for my life and scared for the life of all mankind. I realized that what I was witnessing was no different than what goes on in millions of churches and schools around America and in schools and mosques all over the middle east with their Islamic religion. They too believe that their God is real, and that he is the real God and they are being told to kill people... I was left with the feeling that the most dangerous thing in the world today is religion. It is the biggest threat to our safety and survival as a species. They have been going around fighting wars against each other, all these religions, for thousands of years, and feeling perfectly justified in it and the rest of us, the few enlightened ones who are just awe struck and shocked and horrified by it, are left to just hope that they don't kill each and everyone of us in their petty little arguments over who has the right God. .

I left there feeling that I must be from another planet. Because so few of us seem to see the absolute horror of all of this. and the idiocy. And this is taken for granted so easily here in America and all over the world. pretty much just the Christians and the Jews and the Muslims at this point. The rest of the world’s religions have really grown up and gotten with the times. they have allowed their religions and their creation of their respective gods to grow up and evolve along with modern human thought and understanding. But not the Christians or the Jews or the Muslims. If God is not about love and peace and understanding at this point in time in our evolvement as a species then what good is that God to us? that's the fucking question. Who the hell wants to still believe in a God that wants to kill people? when this guy was quoting the bible about God instructing Saul to kill the whole city I could feel how wrong it was inside of me. anyone could. It just doesn’t compute. If offered the same story a computer would have crashed. It just would not compute with how we FEEL God inside of ourselves, if we so choose to create a belief in a God. So why the hell can’t all of these other people feel that? again, I was truly horrified. If we are not careful these religious folk are going to be the death of us all.

I'm not saying that we should ban the bible or the Koran, although I look forward to the day when they are looked at in their proper place. kind of like the matrix or star wars or roman or Greek mythology. Just good old fashioned stories by very creative but rather twisted and demented minds. Nuff said.

Last screening: triggermen. This is a cool indie Canadian mob film. I'm in this Claire forlani phase so I just rented every movie she ever acted in the last ten years. good or bad, just to check her out. But I'm over her now. this movie is funny though.

Current spin: Janet Jackson, Damita Jo. Big janet fan. she's been peaking last few albums. Maturing. Or maybe its just jimmy and terry. The music just keeps getting better and better. Not sure about this one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. You rock for taking the time to share your ideas and opinions with others.